INTERA Incorporated is looking to fill an entry- to mid-level position for a Geoscientist in our Bloomington, Indiana, office. This is an excellent opportunity to advance your technical skills and career while collaborating with some of the industry’s top talent. As a company wholly dedicated to providing safe and technically sound solutions that exceed our clients’ expectations, we are looking for self-starters who face all project challenges head-on with expertise and commitment.
INTERA’s corporate vision is Innovation and Stewardship for a Sustainable Tomorrow, and we invite all interested candidates to apply if you can embody this on both a personal and professional level.
The primary responsibility of this position is to provide support for multiphase flow modeling and general hydrogeologic analysis under the direction of INTERA’s senior modelers / hydrogeologists. This includes compiling, synthesizing, and analyzing data to develop conceptual and numerical models of contaminant transport in multiphase / multicomponent subsurface systems, most notably radioactive waste repositories; helping to create inputs and evaluate outputs from subsurface flow models; and carrying out quantitative hydrogeologic simulations of groundwater flow systems. The position requires a solid understanding of hydrogeological principles and practices and experience with computer programming languages and numerical subsurface flow models. Programming proficiency with Python is not required but preferred, as is direct experience with the TOUGH family of subsurface flow simulators developed at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. Other job duties will include working to quality assurance / quality control procedures for modeling, report preparation, and technical presentations to clients, regulators, and other interested parties.
- MS in Engineering or Geology or closely related field that includes training in partial differential calculus and numerical solution methods
- Hands-on experience developing, implementing, and documenting numerical multiphase, multicomponent flow and transport simulations
- Python coding experience
- 2-5 years of applicable experience with a primary emphasis on multiphase flow modeling
- A willingness and suitable ability to learn how to develop models using other groundwater flow codes like MODFLOW and its related programs developed at the United States Geological Survey
- PhD in Hydrogeology, Civil Engineering or a similar field with an emphasis in soil physics, groundwater hydrology and/or numerical modeling
- 5-10 years of applicable experience with a primary emphasis on multiphase flow modeling
- Hands-on experience using the TOUGH family of codes developed at Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory
- Python coding proficiency
- Experience with applying geochemistry to multiphase subsurface and groundwater problems to generate reactive transport models
- Direct experience using the MODFLOW family of groundwater flow simulators developed at the United States Geological Survey
- Direct experience with, or an interest to learn the process of, generating new business opportunities and projects in INTERA’s core competencies (including, but not limited to, radioactive waste, water resources, mining, and environmental applications) and beyond
About INTERA & Our Benefits
Our employees say that what they value most at INTERA is our corporate culture—because not only do we believe that our people are our most important asset, we embody it. As an employee-owned company, we are invested in not only providing a good work-life balance with flexible schedules and telecommuting opportunities, but we offer generous benefits packages (we even have a $0 cost health plan), bonus eligibilities, tuition reimbursements, and more. These are some of the reasons why many of our employees have spent 10 to 25 years or more at INTERA. We love what we do and it shows.
So join us today because INTERA has a reputation of excellence, leaves no room for politics, and empowers all of our employees to accomplish their best!